Wednesday, June 17, 2009

And finally...number 23!!

Well, after way more than 12 weeks, I've finally reached the end! I signed up for the 23 things with a sense of dread, knowing that it would be good for me, but hating the thoughts of blogging, social networking and twitter, among other things! In a lot of cases I was pleasantly surprised. The blog was relatively easy to maintain and I enjoyed many of the tasks, even if I was always a little bit behind! I did think that some weeks it took a lot longer than an hour to get a proper handle on what we had to do - but maybe that was just me!! I also learned that I like self learning programmes - you can focus on the parts you like and skim over the other bits.

I had used some of the tools before, which gave me a great headstart, and my favourite bits were flikr, mylibrarything, delicious, podcasts and of course the youtube videos from Common Craft - thank you Lee and Sachi!! Tagging is interesting too - but I hated technorati. It was also good for me to go on facebook and twitter, even though I probably won't use either again.

I can see how libraries could benefit from using some of the Web 2.0 tools - googlereader, delicious, podcasts, youtube, ebooks, among others, have been used already - but I do think getting involved with social networking sites is a stretch too far for libraries, and in my opinion it's trying too hard.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience. I only managed to get to 1 lunchtime talk, which was a pity as they did sound very useful, and the one I got to was great, but it was hard to fit them in. Thanks to Lindsay, Helena and Karen for all your hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment